[mythtv-users] Poll: apt-get FC3 install

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Fri Dec 31 09:55:56 UTC 2004

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004, Dan wolf wrote:

> 1--Should I enable at-testing and install medley-package-config?

Maybe (but probably not)  and NO.

> 2--What does "On a related note, here's the apt-get line you need to
> use if you have kde-redhat enabled to get their packages to install
> cleanly" Mean?  The commands he refers to are:
> # apt-get install kdebase qt arts kdelibs gtk+ gtk2 redhat-artwork
> # apt-get dist-upgrade

Skip it unless you ignored the NO in the previous line.

> 3--Should I type in "apt-get install kernel#2.6.9-1.681_FC3" and get
> the new kernel?

Yes. (If you are on FC3 you will end up with a 2.6.9 kernel anyway!)

> 4--Do I follow "/boot/grub/grub.conf and set default=0 (which should
> correspond to the first listed entry, for the just-installed kernel)"?

No need to change it. It should be fine by default.

> 5--Now he says "We're going to set up a custom environment variable
> that will make life easier when installing kernel modules via apt.
> With the latest change in kernel module naming conventions (a
> coordinated effort between ATrpms, DAG, FreshRPMs and a few other rpm
> repositories), all systems can simply use this environment variable,
> like so:" Then he proceeds to say to type in:
>
> # export MYKERNEL=`uname -r`
>
> I have read at least 2 times that that does not work or works in
> correctly.  What shall I do?

If you typed this you did not read the guide properly. The hash sign
indicates it should be done as root user and not as mythv user.

The command "export MYKERNEL=`uname -r`" (excluding the " offcourse) works
just fine.

I recommend you create a new file /etc/profile.d/mykernel.sh and put in
the following lines:

MYKERNEL=`uname -r`
export MYKERNEL

Then "chmod +x /etc/profile.d/mykernel.sh" to make sure it is added
properly.

Hugo.