[mythtv-users] Poll: apt-get FC3 install

Dan wolf mboverload at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 09:38:44 UTC 2004

Ok, heres my list.  I am building my website as I get the answers.
While it will not replace Jarold's guide (not re-typing everything),
I'm telling people to use it with his guide because mine has tons of
notes for Linux newbies and stuff, while his is aimed toward someone
with at least some expirience.  I'm hoping to make it easier for the
n00bs so I wont have to go through this same thing.  Beyond me why I
can't just grab an EXE and some drivers, seems to work for Windows.
With my guide you can just point them to it until Jarold gets his
updated.

1--Should I enable at-testing and install medley-package-config?

2--What does "On a related note, here's the apt-get line you need to
use if you have kde-redhat enabled to get their packages to install
cleanly" Mean?  The commands he refers to are:
# apt-get install kdebase qt arts kdelibs gtk+ gtk2 redhat-artwork
# apt-get dist-upgrade

3--Should I type in "apt-get install kernel#2.6.9-1.681_FC3" and get
the new kernel?

4--Do I follow "/boot/grub/grub.conf and set default=0 (which should
correspond to the first listed entry, for the just-installed kernel)"?

5--Now he says "We're going to set up a custom environment variable
that will make life easier when installing kernel modules via apt.
With the latest change in kernel module naming conventions (a
coordinated effort between ATrpms, DAG, FreshRPMs and a few other rpm
repositories), all systems can simply use this environment variable,
like so:" Then he proceeds to say to type in:

# export MYKERNEL=`uname -r`

I have read at least 2 times that that does not work or works in
correctly.  What shall I do?

6--He then says "To make this variable survive reboots, someone
suggested having this variable set automatically. We can simply add
this to rc.local: # echo "export MYKERNEL=\`uname -r\`" >>
/etc/rc.local"  I have also heard that does not work.

_END_

Ok, thats it until I get to the video drivers, where I have a buttload
of other problems.  Thanks in advance, and please answer even if you
can answer just one question, I can piece them together.