[mythtv-users] Remote control probs

Piers Kittel mythtv at biased.org
Tue Dec 28 23:40:17 UTC 2004

Hello all,

Am having nasty probs with remote controls and MythTV:

Currently I'm using the IR sensor with the PVR350 card, I've patched,
compiled and installed lirc as per instructions found here:

1) Running irw and using my Hauppauge remote, works fine.  But when I
try to use irrecord with my other remotes, it doesn't detect nearly all
of them (tried a total 9), only works with 1, and even then irrecord
didn't deal with it properly (pressed and held the button, typed in "1"
and pressed the "1" button but it seemed to ignore it, typed in "2" and
didn't press any other button and it asked me for the next button, then
when finishing, it asks me to tap the button fast but it does nothing
even tho I tapped the button for a long time?)

2) Anyway, ignoring that, I can't quite get the remote to work with myth
TV - the HOWTO (http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-8.html#ss8.6)
mentions an lircrc file, but I can't find an example (lircrc.examples)
Can I have an example?

3) When running irxevent, I find I have to run that and mythfrontend
within the same terminal window - I can't just log in remotely, type in
"irxevent &" and start mythfrontend via X?  Is it suggested that I
recompile MythTV to incorporate native lirc support?

Thanks very much for your help in advance

Cheers - Piers