[mythtv-users] Error getting encoder firmware version

mikemurphy mike at halfmytime.com
Tue Dec 28 01:59:06 UTC 2004

How did you go about installing the IVTV drivers?  The Hauppauge PVR
cards expect the drivers to load firmware onto them the cards when they
start up.  The binaries for this firmware need to be present on your
filesystem (in /lib/modules/ if i recall correctly), but they aren't
distributed with the IVTV drivers because they're not open-source.  You
probably won't have these binaries unless you installed with Knoppmyth
or something.  It sounds like that may be your problem.  The IVTV
drivers include a utility called ivfwextract that can pull the binaries
you need out of a downloaded copy of the windows drivers.  There's a
step-by-step on the gentoo wiki's myth howto:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/index.php?title=HOWTO_Setup_MythTV#ivtv

No offense if you already know about it.  It's definitely something I
stumbled over.

Good luck,
Mike