[mythtv-users] PVR350 TV OUT stability - scrap PVR playback?

Derek Conniffe derek at rivertower.ie
Tue Dec 28 00:39:17 UTC 2004

Hi,

I've been trying out MythTV with a PVR350 and IVTV for the last couple of
months.

I've found that MythTV 0.15 & IVTV 0.1.9 are quite stable but I still have
[IVTV I think] hangs when I try to use MythVideo or try to pause/rewind live
TV.  I'm using the PVR 350 for TV output - I'm also using SuSE 9.1 with a
2.4.28 kernel and a Pentium III 500Mhz gateway computer.

With the current stable MythTV (0.16) I had problems with the backend
hanging once/twice per day and with the CVS version (0.17) I found that I
couldn't play back recorded programmes (just a black screen).

I have no problems with recording - only playback issues (hangs).  I'm now
thinking that perhaps I should scrap using the PVR 350 for TV output and use
a different graphics card with TV out and try using software MPEG decoding
for playback (I have a few AGP graphics cards that would do and I've seen
that they have framebuffer support in the kernel).

What do other people out there do and has anyone else had problems like me?

Thanks very much for any information

Derek

---