[mythtv-users] Black screen when trying to watch live tv

Spokehedz spokehedz at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 00:24:08 UTC 2004

Sorry about the other post... I thought i was saving the draft, and it
accidentally sent the message.

Basically, everything loads fine (well... i think it does--otherwise,
i woulden't have a problem, right?) and nothing errors out... but when
i try and watch live TV, all i get is a black screen and this message
over and over (100's of times a second) in the console:

QSocketDevice::writeBlock: Invalid socket
2004-12-27 19:14:33 Error writing stringlist
Remote encoder not responding.

I've searched everywhere, and all i get is that i should try the
current CVS--which dosen't help me at all, as i don't know how to
compile things on my own. i just figured out that Nano puts a CR at
the end of a line when you paste it in...

Also, it seems that my RC.sysinit dosen't ever get initialized.
anything i put there seems to never get executed/run. I'm running
Fedora Core 3, and i followed the MythTV HowTo from
http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/ as closely as i could.

I know the card works--it used it before, but the IR didin't work.
Nothing i tried helped, so i reinstalled. Again. Now the IR works, and
the video is FUBAR. I'm not threatening, but WinMCE is looking better
and better here...

I'm a complete newb, but i've got everything up and working to this
point (installing Nvidia drivers, sound drivers, editing in the term)
but i can't get this one thing.

Thanks again. I really want to get this working... I'm tired of having
my family delete my Good Eats episodes.

--

Your lord and master,

Spokehedz (Not Foamy!)