[mythtv-users] Black screen when trying to watch live tv

Spokehedz spokehedz at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 00:24:08 UTC 2004

Sorry about the other post... I thought i was saving the draft, and it
accidentally sent the message.

Basically, everything loads fine (well... i think it does--otherwise,
i woulden't have a problem, right?) and nothing errors out... but when
i try and watch live TV, all i get is a black screen and this message
over and over (100's of times a second) in the console:

QSocketDevice::writeBlock: Invalid socket
2004-12-27 19:14:33 Error writing stringlist
Remote encoder not responding.

I've searched everywhere, and all i get is that i should try the
current CVS--which dosen't help me at all, as i don't know how to
compile things on my own. i just figured out that Nano puts a CR at
the end of a line when you paste it in...

Also, it seems that my RC.sysinit dosen't ever get initialized.
anything i put there seems to never get executed/run. I'm running
Fedora Core 3, and i followed the MythTV HowTo from
http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/ as closely as i could.

I know the card works--it used it before, but the IR didin't work.
Nothing i tried helped, so i reinstalled. Again. Now the IR works, and
the video is FUBAR. I'm not threatening, but WinMCE is looking better
and better here...

I'm a complete newb, but i've got everything up and working to this
point (installing Nvidia drivers, sound drivers, editing in the term)
but i can't get this one thing.

Thanks again. I really want to get this working... I'm tired of having
my family delete my Good Eats episodes.

Your lord and master,

Spokehedz (Not Foamy!)

"I found no people for killing time