[mythtv-users] RAID on Fedora Core 3?

Anthony Vito anthony.vito at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 21:20:11 UTC 2004

> OK, I think I've decided to do raid in linux's mdadmin tool.
> So, now I just need to find a card or cards that will support 8 drives
> each with it's own channel. I have failed to find a non-raid card larger than
> a 2-channel card. All the ones more than 2 channels are labeled 'raid'.
> I know many have warned against Promise, but I think that is mainly due to their
> use as raid devices. I know they do some 4 channel cards - do they work
> ok in that mode? I know the 2-channel 'RAID' card works as a plain IDE
> controller. Anyone have a 4-channel one? Anyone care to guess?

Why do you need one without the "RAID" label? Pretty much everything
but the 3ware cards are only software RAID. So the label is just
marketing. You can run RAID 0 or 1 in linux on a 2 port card in
software far better then the "RAID driver" that will come with the

I have a 4 channel promise SATA card .. ( the SX4 ?? ) I currently run
2 segate 200gig drives in RAID 1 with linux software raid on a
modified 2.6 kernel on top of Fedora core 2. It's perfectly fine,
happy, and fast. I don't use ports 3 or 4.. but I can't imagine any
issues with them. * shugs shoulders *

Anthony Vito
anthony.vito at gmail.com