[mythtv-users] ATI TV Wonder - no sound from capture card

Kane Tse kanetse at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 20 18:45:02 UTC 2004

I have an ATi TV Wonder PCI installed in a dual Athlon 1800MP machine.
It was running Fedora Core 3 and working fine with the sound being
captured by the line-in on the motherboard's sound card.

However, it was only a slave backend; and I needed it to become the
master backend, so I changed upgraded the HDDs and added in a PVR-250.
I also subsequently reinstalled a clean copy of Fedora Core 3,
essentially following Jarod's guide.

Now, there is no audio coming out of the ATI TV Wonder card.  I tried
plugging a set of speakers directly into the ATI's line out (where you
would plug in the patch cable) and heard nothing.

Any ideas?

My initial guess is that there is a problem with the msp3400.o because
the PVR-250 loads its own copy of the module.

As a possible alternative solution, I tried to use the Alsa module
snd_bt87x to capture (the ATi TV Wonder PCI *does* have a working
capture card), but whenever the card is capturing, my /var/log/messages
is flooded with "kernel: FIFO overrun" messages.  I'm sure this is
related to the snd_bt87x, because when I put snd_bt87x on my
/etc/hotplug/blacklist file and reboot, the messages go away (but no
sound).  Any RedHat or FC3 experts know how to solve this?  From my
reading of the snd_bt87x source code; this error message is produced
when there is "Bus Access Latency"; but I don't know what this means or
how I can fix it.

My questions are:

1) How do I get my TV Wonder to output sound on it's line out jack?

2) How do I solve this "FIFO overrun" issue with snd_bt87x?

3) Does anyone have an ATi TV Wonder with a PVR-250 in an Athlon SMP
machine running FC3 working?  Is it possible?

Thanks!