[mythtv-users] OT: How to upgrade from FC2 to FC3 via apt-get

Martin Ebourne lists at ebourne.me.uk
Sat Dec 18 18:04:33 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 22:10 -0800, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 12 December 2004 14:19, potuncle at enjoyingeugene.com wrote:
> > I have setup my FC2 MythTV box using Jarod's great guide and I'd like to
> > now upgrade to FC3. How can I do this via apt-get? I think I saw a how-to
> > earlier on the list, but have been unable to find it.
>
> Unfortunately, this is not something that seems to be particularly easy. The
> shift to udev isn't something easily handled, so apt may end up telling you
> it wants to remove half your system.

I've upgraded three machines from FC2 to FC3 using apt-get now, with no
major trouble. Two were 32 bit Intel, one 64 bit AMD.

Here's the procedure:

1. /etc/apt/apt.conf

2. Edit /etc/apt/sources.list to contain the FC3 mirrors. I recommend
     1. Ensure the RPM ordering option is set in apt.conf. You could do:
   echo 'RPM::Order "true";' >>
     2. you only include the official 'core' and 'updates' feeds for the
        initial upgrade, and then add the others in once that is
        working. Feel free to experiment though.

3.