[mythtv-users] OT: How to upgrade from FC2 to FC3 via apt-get

Martin Ebourne lists at ebourne.me.uk
Sat Dec 18 18:17:50 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 22:10 -0800, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 12 December 2004 14:19, potuncle at enjoyingeugene.com wrote:
> > I have setup my FC2 MythTV box using Jarod's great guide and I'd like to
> > now upgrade to FC3. How can I do this via apt-get? I think I saw a how-to
> > earlier on the list, but have been unable to find it.
>
> Unfortunately, this is not something that seems to be particularly easy. The
> shift to udev isn't something easily handled, so apt may end up telling you
> it wants to remove half your system.

[Please ignore the previous partial post - had an argument with the
mailer]

I've upgraded three machines from FC2 to FC3 using apt-get now, with no
major trouble. Two were 32 bit Intel, one 64 bit AMD.

Here's the procedure:

0. Don't forget to back the system up. Make sure you have a FC3 rescue
CD to hand just in case.

1. Ensure the RPM ordering option is set in apt.conf. You could do:
   echo 'RPM::Order "true";' >> /etc/apt/apt.conf

2. Edit /etc/apt/sources.list to contain the FC3 mirrors. I recommend
you only include the official 'core' and 'updates' feeds for the
initial upgrade, and then add the others in once that is working. Feel
free to experiment though.

3. apt-get update

4. Optionally download the packages overnight by doing:
   apt-get -d dist-upgrade

5. apt-get dist-upgrade |& tee fc3-upgrade.log
   At this point it will ask for confirmation. Make sure what apt wants
to do is reasonable - eg. make sure it isn't trying to REMOVE half of
your system.

6. After it has completed, 'apt-get install' any bits the upgrade missed
off for no obvious reason. It was a different list on each of my
machines, but they all had some. I recommend you try to install any
packages listed in 'REMOVED' or 'kept back' which are part of FC3. Also
make sure it has installed udev (one of my machines missed it at first).

7. /sbin/udevstart

8. Now install the new kernel:
   apt-get install kernel
   If that didn't do anything it is already installed, in which case
remake the initrd to include the udev stuff. eg.
   mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-1.681_FC3.img 2.6.9-1.681_FC3
   Use the version number from the newly installed kernel, of course.

9. Reboot and all should be good.

I only needed the rescue CD on one of my systems, and only because I
forgot to mkinitrd. Otherwise it was all ok.

Cheers,

Martin.