[mythtv-users] OT: Dual Channel DDR

Anthony Vito anthony.vito at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 16:34:34 UTC 2004

>> Dual channel is a motherboard feature.  There is no difference between
>> buying a "dual channel" memory kit or buying two sticks seperately, not
>> physically at least.

Correct, I don't know what the other guy up there is talking about......

>> THe only distinction that the kits have besides
>> higher price is that the memory in these  kits are tested by the
>> manufacture to ensure the memory will work together.

I'm not convinced even most of the dual channel kits are tested. I
think most manufactures take a "Dell" stance on these. They just
package and sell, and if people complain they replace them. It's
cheaper then testing.

> My understanding was that dual-channel needed at least PC3200 RAM (400
> MHz);

Why would dual channel need a certain speed? Think about it. Dual
channel just means two pipes to the memory controller, each capable of
a single "channel" worth of bandwidth. You could have memory in dual
channel run at 1 Mhz. It would be faster then a single channel at 1
Mhz... but honestly, who cares.

> the difference in price is probably due to the fact that if you're
> not running in dual-channel mode most mobos fall back to PC2700 speeds

Most mainboards? name one. "Most mainboards" will be able to run
memory at higher speeds ( and overclock higher ) if they only use 1
stick of memory. And you _will_ run in dual channel if you put a stick
of memory in each channel slot and the system detects it all.

> so if you're not running dual-channel there's no point in
> buying the more expensive PC3200 RAM.  The fact that you need 2x sticks
> of identical RAM for dual channel does not add as much to the price as
> the difference between PC2700/PC3200.

I would preach the opposite.. If you don't have dual channel, or
aren't going to run in it ( put all the RAM on the first channel..
it's not a BIOS selection..) , you better get the fastest memory your
system supports ( which you really should do anyway )... There is
nothing that slows a brand new multi-thousand dollar gaming system
more then skimping on the main memory.

--
Anthony Vito
anthony.vito at gmail.com