[mythtv-users] OT: Dual Channel DDR

Joseph Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Sat Dec 18 15:02:39 UTC 2004

dustymugs at skewedperception.com wrote:
> Dual channel is a motherboard feature.  There is no difference between
> buying a "dual channel" memory kit or buying two sticks seperately, not
> physically at least.  THe only distinction that the kits have besides
> higher price is that the memory in these  kits are tested by the
> manufacture to ensure the memory will work together.

My understanding was that dual-channel needed at least PC3200 RAM (400
MHz); the difference in price is probably due to the fact that if you're
not running in dual-channel mode most mobos fall back to PC2700 speeds
(333 MHz), so if you're not running dual-channel there's no point in
buying the more expensive PC3200 RAM.  The fact that you need 2x sticks
of identical RAM for dual channel does not add as much to the price as
the difference between PC2700/PC3200.

-JAC