[mythtv-users] MythGame and XMame -sound and -mouse option

Shawn Taras shawn_t at writeme.com
Sat Dec 18 14:34:11 UTC 2004

If you don't want to wait or recompile/grab the latest CVS, here is a quick fix that is easy to manage:

What I did is modify the shell script that launches xmame. On my system, the script was: /usr/bin/xmame and originally read:

#!/bin/sh

PROG=`basename $0`
if [ -x /usr/bin/$PROG.xgl ]; then
        RUN=$PROG.xgl
elif [ -x /usr/bin/$PROG.SDL ]; then
        RUN=$PROG.SDL
elif [ -x /usr/bin/$PROG.x11 ]; then
        RUN=$PROG.x11
else
        echo "No suitable binary for $PROG found?!?"
        exit 1
fi
exec $RUN $*

What I did is use SED to filter out the options that are no longer supported. I created a new file called: /usr/bin/xmame.strip that reads:

#!/bin/sh

PROG=`basename $0`
if [ -x /usr/bin/$PROG.xgl ]; then
        RUN=$PROG.xgl
elif [ -x /usr/bin/$PROG.SDL ]; then
        RUN=$PROG.SDL
elif [ -x /usr/bin/$PROG.x11 ]; then
        RUN=$PROG.x11
else
        echo "No suitable binary for $PROG found?!?"
        exit 1
fi
ARGS=`echo $* | sed -e 's/-sound//g' -e 's/-nosound//g' -e 's/-mouse//g' -e 's/-nomouse//g'`
#echo $ARGS
exec $RUN $ARGS

Change the execute permissions using 'chmod +x /usr/bin/xmame.strip' and then in your setup->media settings change the XMAME executable to '/usr/bin/xmame.strip.

Simple solution that lets you keep the latest and greatest version of xmame...

Shawn