[mythtv-users] Should I wait for the PVR 150

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Fri Dec 17 21:01:56 UTC 2004

> It is about $45 cheaper, and some wonder if it might even be better, though
> that remains to be seen.

 	I'm one of the ones thinking it might be.  The video capture chip
(not the MPEG encoder) has the potential to capture higher resolution than
the Philips chip on the 250 and 350.

> I would predict:
>    a) Since people still have problems getting their 250s to work,
>       expect the 150 driver to be even more unstable for a while.

 	I agree to a point.  I think that most the problems are subtle
communications between the MPEG chip.  Since it's the same as the older
one, however, once the communications part is worked out it shouldn't take
too long to get the biggest bugs squashed.

>    b) Expect that due to the price, the 150 (and perhaps 500) will
>       become the card of choice before too long.

 	Agreed.  For something like $60-$70 apiece, it's MUCH easier to
justify over a POS bttv-based card.

-Cory