[mythtv-users] Should I wait for the PVR 150

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Fri Dec 17 19:40:28 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 09:23:52AM -0400, Mark J. Small wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I'm looking at adding another tuner or two to my mythtv box.  I currently have 
> a Freestyle (PVR-250 gateway OEM) that is working nicely.  I also have a 
> Matrox G400+RRG that is too painful to bother with, so it is currently 
> disabled.  
> Browsing through the lists, it sound like the PVR-150 will be working 
> real-soon-now.  It is significantly cheaper the a 250, and will eventually 
> work just as well.  Should I wait for it, or just pick up another Freestyle, 
> or 250?

Well, I bought a 150 before I knew it was not yet supported!  It's sitting
on the desk.  However, indeed, people on ivtv say support is "imminent",
that one member of the team has in fact coded it but is being slow
checking in the patches.

It is about $45 cheaper, and some wonder if it might even be better, though
that remains to be seen.

So since I am building boxes for Christmas, I had no choice, I got some
250s instead.   250s can be had for about $130 from J&R music world or
buy.com when they have in stock, or less on ebay especially if you take
the bare models that gateway oemed.  (There was a guy selling some of
those cheap on this list, but I didn't buy since he was using a created email
address with no reputation behind it.)

I would predict:
    a) Since people still have problems getting their 250s to work,
       expect the 150 driver to be even more unstable for a while.

    b) Expect that due to the price, the 150 (and perhaps 500) will
       become the card of choice before too long.

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list