[mythtv-users] DTIVO v. MythTV (Pvr-350) Quality

Preston Crow pc-mythtv04 at crowcastle.net
Fri Dec 17 19:47:03 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 14:24, David George wrote:
>  Try watching local channels on Time Warner
> cable here.  Channels 2-13 are horrible.  Unfortunately, channel 4 and
> has always been the worst.  I can't miss my Alias.  I was very happy
> when the local ABC got their HDTV running well enough last year to watch
> it in HD.

In my experience, poor cable reception of local channels is often
because you are using poorly-shielded coax cables.  These cables act as
an antenna and pick up enough of the broadcast signal to interfere with
the cable signal (even if it's the same channel, it's out of sync).
Usually the bad cables are noticeably thinner.  Try swapping cables
around and eliminate splitters to see if you can get a good signal.

Replacing cables made a huge difference for me.

--PC