[mythtv-users] DTIVO v. MythTV (Pvr-350) Quality

David George david at thegeorges.us
Fri Dec 17 19:59:29 UTC 2004

On 12/17/2004 2:47 PM, Preston Crow wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 14:24, David George wrote:
>> Try watching local channels on Time Warner
>>cable here.  Channels 2-13 are horrible.  Unfortunately, channel 4 and
>>has always been the worst.  I can't miss my Alias.  I was very happy
>>when the local ABC got their HDTV running well enough last year to watch
>>it in HD.
>In my experience, poor cable reception of local channels is often
>because you are using poorly-shielded coax cables.  These cables act as
>an antenna and pick up enough of the broadcast signal to interfere with
>the cable signal (even if it's the same channel, it's out of sync).
>Usually the bad cables are noticeably thinner.  Try swapping cables
>around and eliminate splitters to see if you can get a good signal.
>Replacing cables made a huge difference for me.
Unfortunately, new cables didn't make a difference.  I even completely
rewired my house with Quad-shield RG-6 coming straight from the feed
outside.  TW themselves acknowledge it and were always saying they were
working on it.  Of course this was last year and I stopped bugging them
because I didn't need it anymore.