[mythtv-users] Nonlinear MPEG2 editor that doesn't suck?

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Sun Dec 12 20:46:47 UTC 2004

 	Has anyone found such a beast?  I've got an PVR-250 captured bunch
of old 8mm home video footage that I'm trying to put together into a DVD.
I'm trying to cut up a couple of 4GB 704x480 streams into a few dozen
clips.  I'd like to paste them together into a DVD with 1 chapter per
clip.  Issues include:

- avidemux: Not set up to do multiple clips at once, nor nonlinear
editing.  Saving "project" files for each clip is quite tedious and in the
end, the clip "editing" would be done with the dvdauthor xml file.
Advantages are lossless and fast editing of original clips

- kino: Seems to be completely impossible to get any "media" into it
except through ieee1394.  Alegedly does NLE with clips, however.

- lve: Seemed like a good choice once I figured out the clunky interface.
Although tedious, its dvd "interface" (lvemkdvd) does allow for multiple
titles, and multiple chapters in a title.  The "chapters" still require
saving each clip as their own file.  Unfortunately, the lossless authoring
seems to make "jerky" MPEGs on the final DVD in a settop player.

- cinelerra: I've tried to figure it out numerous times before.  Funky
interface and doesn't really like to load MPEG2 files.  I figured out one
must run 'mpeg3toc' on the file beforehand.  It's quite slow to load and
deal with these large files.  I suspect it doesn't do "lossless" cutting
since its intent is rendering fancy cuts, etc.  It's not worth learning
how to use it if it's the wrong tool for the job.

- others?

 	It doesn't seem like what I'm trying to do would be all that
unusual.  Has anyone else had any success trying to find/use something
like this?