[mythtv-users] Getting Myth running with an HDTV

Pete pete at putzin.net
Fri Dec 10 19:02:52 UTC 2004

On Friday 10 December 2004 12:08 pm, Doug Larrick wrote:
> Pete wrote:
> > 1. Does anyone have a good way to generate modelines and configuration
> > for a 1280 x 720 output? I'm going to hook this up through my Nvidia 5500
> > and play both regular TV and HD (when my pcHDTV 3000 shows up) through
> > it.
>
> Do some Google searches, and/or search the MythTV archives.  The HDTV
> modes are standard.
> http://www.sllug.org/how-to/linux-htpc/video_card_configuration.html is
> a good starting point; also see Jarod's pages.
>
> How are you planning to connect the PC to the HDTV?  VGA direct?
> VGA->Component adaptor?  DVI?
>
> > 2. Is 1280 x 720 the best choice for resolution? Obviously here in the
> > US, so I'm curious to know if I'm missing something.
>
> It depends on your TV.  If it's a plasma or LCD with 720p as its native
> resolution, then yes, 1280x720 is what you want.  If it's a CRT with
> 1080i as its native resolution, you probably want 1080i (or 540p, or
> "540pw", which is 1920x540).  Or if it's a plasma or projector with some
> other native resolution, use that and let the video card do all the
> scaling.
>
> -Doug

Yeah, I've seen some of them, but wanted some assurances.

VGA->Component Adaptor

And the TV is a Tosshiba rear projection (no DVI in though), that's why I
asked. It can do all the HD modes (so says the manual), which is why I wanted
to make sure picking on and sticking with it is good enough.

--
"Wherever the standard of freedom and independence has been or shall be
unfurled, there will her heart, her benedictions, and her prayers be. But she