[mythtv-users] please help: horrendous video quality (MPEG2 decoder recommendations?)

Mark L. Cukier mark at pemicro.com
Tue Dec 7 15:55:37 UTC 2004

I'm on NTSC, and I see this problem using either composite or S-Video
output.

I am NOT using a tuner input for my PVR-350... I'm using the composite
ouput of my cable box (I will be using an IR retransmitter for channel
changing, etc).

Also... is this a problem inherent in the the PVR-350 (or any other
analog TV out device)? eg, would switching to an MPEG2 Decoder with a
DVI output, and hooking that straight to my TV, solve my problems?

*Also, can anyone recommend a good MPEG2 decoder with DVI out?*

Thanks,
  Mark

Jå§òÑ M@¢þhè®$Øñ wrote:

>I can't help you with all you issues, but those scrolling lines are
>probably caused by a grounding loop (google it).  It's can be hard to
>debug.  But basically you'll need to plug your entire system into the
>same circuit.  Unplug your coax cable completely and see it those
>scrolling bars go away.  If so you'll also need to simpifiy your cable
>inputs.  Ideally you want only one connection between your cable and
>your system (no cable splitters).
>
>Your other problems are a little harder to debug.  Are you on NTCS or
>PAL?  Are you using S-video or component outputs?
>

>On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:21:01 -0500, Mark L. Cukier <mark at pemicro.com> wrote:
>

>>Everyone:
>>
>>I have a hauppauge pvr350 connected to a Sony Widescreen 51".
>>
>>The picture quality is horrendous on several levels. The picture is
>>shifted, so some is cut off. I have scan lines scrolling up (horizontal
>>lines moving vertically), and the colors are WAY off.
>>
>>Does anyone know how to address these issues???
>>
>>Regards,
>>  Mark

____________________________
*Mark L. Cukier*, /Design Engineer/