[mythtv-users] Solutions for FC2 and PVR350

Marty Boeckman marty.boeckman at veritas.com
Tue Dec 7 14:12:07 UTC 2004

I just finished setting up my myth box per Jarod's guide. I used the FC2 guide.
There were 3 things that I had to do beyond the guide to get everything working.
So I thought I would share that information with the group to save someone else
some time. I am using a Hauppauge 350 with a sound blaster live card.

- The correct IVTV driver was not being used. So I had to manually copy
/lib/modules/2.6.8-1.521/updates/drivers/media/video/msp3400-ivtv.ko over
/lib/modules/2.6.8-1.521/kernel/drivers/media/video/msp3400.ko

- I had to add the following 2 lines to /etc/rc.local so that the ivtv driver
was loaded when X needed it (for X output over the 350)
/sbin/modprobe ivtv
/sbin/modprobe ivtv-fb

- I had to add the following to lines to /etc/rc.local so that the lircd was
running after startup (there was another thread describing this problem, don't
have the link handy)
/sbin/depmod -a
/sbin/modprobe lirc_i2c
/etc/init.d/lircd restart

The complete /etc/rc.local file:
#!/bin/sh
#
# This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
# You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
# want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.

touch /var/lock/subsys/local
export MYKERNEL=`uname -r`
/sbin/modprobe ivtv
/sbin/modprobe ivtv-fb
/usr/X11R6/bin/xset -dpms
/usr/X11R6/bin/xset s off
/sbin/depmod -a
/sbin/modprobe lirc_i2c
/etc/init.d/lircd restart

The complete /etc/modprobe.conf file:
alias eth0 3c59x
alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 &&
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-emu10k1 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1
#alias char-major-81 hisax
#alias usb-controller uhci-hcd
#ivtv stuff
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
install ivtv /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ivtv; /sbin/modprobe ivtv-fb
install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install lirc_i2c