[mythtv-users] Where to get JFS for FC2

Neil Milne maillist at hippoit.co.uk
Tue Dec 7 23:17:07 UTC 2004

Marty Boeckman wrote:

> FC2 has a documented problem with with trying to format a JFS partition
> at install time - by entering "linux jfs" at the boot prompt, and then
> selecting JFS as the partition type when in disk druid. As a result, JFS
> is not installed on my system.
>
> I want to try JFS as the file system for my video partition. But I can't
> find binaries that I can apt-get. Does anyone know where I might get
> them. Google turns up squat.

I'd be wary of using JFS to be honest. I did my initial mythtv setup
with a big JFS LVM group, as well as using it for the root partition,
and I had nothing but problems. It was *very* unforgiving of unexpected
reboots and the final straw came when I had to do a hard reset of the
box after a spectacular failure to get my ATI driver working and it blew
away both superblocks of the LVM group - lost everything. I've since
switched to using ext3 and it works really well. Not had any problems
with large files (I use a pair of DVB-T cards so the files are MPEG2 and
therefore pretty hefty). I would also consider ReiserFS as I've been
using that with no problems for a couple of years on my main linux server.

To be honest, I'm not convinced JFS is mature enough, and if you check
the mailing lists for it there are quite a few people still pulling out
bugs from the hat...

HTH
Neil