[mythtv-users] pcHDTV 3000 Which video card to use with

Preston Crow pc-mythtv04 at crowcastle.net
Mon Dec 6 19:54:23 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 14:20, JBorn at harland.net wrote:
> I plan on making a myth box revolving around a pcHDTV 3000 card.  Which
> video card should I purchase to go along with it?
>
> >From the pcHDTV web site I see the following listed:
>
> Accelerated HDTV support with nVidia video cards.
> Accelerated IDCT and Motion Compensation with GeForce4 Mx cards
> Accelerated Motion Compensation with GeForce4 TI cards
>
> >From that list the GeForce4 Mx cards seem to offer the best combination and
> as  an  added  bonus are cheaper than the GeForce4 TI cards or am I reading
> that completely wrong?

For Myth, you might get by with a 440 MX, but most people report better
results with a FX 5200.  In general, you want the fastest nVidia card
that you can afford (in terms of money, heat, and noise).  I went with
the 5200, as it was the fastest fanless card I could find.

> Would  this  recommendation  change  if I planned to dual boot to do gaming
> under windows?

In that case, you might be willing to go with a faster card with a fan.

--PC