[mythtv-users] A not so High Definition fan question.

sschaefer1 at woh.rr.com sschaefer1 at woh.rr.com
Mon Dec 6 16:34:11 UTC 2004

I never paid any attention to HDTV before, but I recently noticed some broadcasts on PBS and the fact the law about the ATSC broadcast flag will kick in soon has sparked my interest.

Wasn't there at one time, the broadcast industry said there will be converter boxes available to receive the ATSC broadcasts which will output in SDTV for those of us that resist buying a HD television?

Doing a search of the MythTV mail list, it seems to me www.pcHDTV.com offering is the only Linux offerings for HDTV... is this correct?  Are there no HD equivalents to the Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350 with it's decoder and TV out port, so that I wouldn't have to rely on my slow computer to decode and restrict my viewing pleasure to the computer's display (assuming I'd buy a HDTV to watch it)?  What about a card with at least a decoder chip and no TV out?