[mythtv-users] A not so High Definition fan question.

Joe Barnhart joebarnhart at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 6 18:15:24 UTC 2004

--- sschaefer1 at woh.rr.com wrote:

> Wasn't there at one time, the broadcast industry
> said there will be converter boxes available to
> receive the ATSC broadcasts which will output in
> SDTV for those of us that resist buying a HD
> television?

Not sure what you're asking here.  Do you want high
def or not?  If not, there's no worries, mate.  Your
prayers are answered and you'll likely be able to
watch NON high def as long as you want, broadcast flag
or not.  The whole point of the broadcast flag is to
force your TV to standard def for "protected" content
that you attempt to record and play back.

> Doing a search of the MythTV mail list, it seems to
> me www.pcHDTV.com offering is the only Linux
> offerings for HDTV... is this correct?

Yes. AFAIK.

> Are there no
> HD equivalents to the Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350 with
> it's decoder and TV out port, so that I wouldn't
> have to rely on my slow computer to decode and
> restrict my viewing pleasure to the computer's
> display (assuming I'd buy a HDTV to watch it)?

There are other offerings, but none that support
Linux.  Hauppage has a card that fits your

http://www.hauppage.com/Pages/products/data_hd.html

But it has no Linux drivers today and likely never
will.

> What
> about a card with at least a decoder chip and no TV
> out?

What is this?  How can it have a decoder chip and not
output directly to the TV?  "TV out" in the case of HD
is either component video, VGA, or DVI.  You can't
output HD shows on composite video.