[mythtv-users] Recording a tape to DVD

Lane Schwartz dowobeha at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 15:26:08 UTC 2004

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 10:05:02 -0500, John Kuhn <kuhn at razorsys.com> wrote:
> Chris wrote:
> > I'm working on a Christmas project that will have me use my myth box to
> >record some old family videos (on VHS tapes) to DVD.  I've seen lots of
> >messages on the list about recording shows to DVD, but since this is
> >coming from a tape (and will be manually started & stopped), it seems
> >like my best approach is to use ivtv's test_ioctl to set my PVR250 to
> >DVD-compatible settings and then "cat /dev/video > file.mpg" .  (I can
> >then edit the file in LVE, avidemux, or something similar.)  Involving
> >myth seems like it would be more complicated than it needs to be, as I
> >will require manual control over the recordings and can't take advantage
> >of all the other things that Myth can do automatically.
> >
> > However, I thought I'd first check here to see if anyone had done
> >something similar or had any clever ideas on improving my approach.  Any
> >suggestions are welcome.
> >

> >org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
> >

> would be really nice if someone could make a module exactly for this.
> Myth has all the functionality todo it, just needs a more usefriendly
> method.  a nice Start/stop switch would be ideal with possibly some
> transcoding options.. also giving the process the highest priorty so
> myth doesnt try to steal the tuner for another show..
> I have alot of vhs hi/8 tapes i would love to get into the mythbox

Agreed. The surest way for a feature request to become a feature is to
write the code. :)

I'll try to take a look at the code tonight. Not making any promises,
esp as my C++ skills are a bit rusty.

Do any of the current developers have any comments about a MythVHS
module being added with the purpose of making it as easy as possible
to import VHS tapes into Myth?

"No, we've had no evidence that Saddam Hussein was involved in 9/11."
-- George W. Bush, 17 Sept 2003