[mythtv-users] Re: Building MythDVD (and MythTV-suite) from source

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Dec 3 03:13:39 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 11:41:01PM -0000, Nick Morrott wrote:
> Axel,
>
> Thank you so much for atrpms.net resouce which allowed me to quite easily
> install mythtv-suite on FC3 and also upgrade my kernel to .681. (I know you
> are very busy so will try to keep this short)
>
> I know from reading the mythtv lists at gossamer-threads that there were big
> problems installing mythdvd from source on FC3 before you added the rpm for
> it due to the compiler problems.
>
> I know when I tried to install the older FC2 version of mythtv-suite it
> failed due to the mythdvd/transcode problems. I ended up manually installing
> all of the separate rpms on FC3 via apt-get including the new mythdvd rpm
> for FC3 and all appeared to install with no problems.
>
> Now I am thinking about installing things from source myself on the either
> vanilla install of FC3 or after upgrading to the latest kernel, and was
> wondering if you could be so kind as to point out:
>
> i) possible problems installing and compiling all of the myth packages
> *including* mythdvd/transcode - does this require the -compat compiler stuff
> installed first?

No.

> Any other packages needed?

Yes, quite a few, check the specfiles (BuildRequires).

> ii) a decent online resouce to explain once I have accomplished this how to
> build these into custom rpms for my system.

Got me there. Maximum RPM is nice as a first step, but rather outdated.

> iii) is it possible to run an apt-get repository on the same system, write a
> spec file (or modify the myth-suite one for FC2) and then have it
> automatically resolve all package dependencies locally without needing
> network access?

Of course, how else would any package be built :)
Just mirror the repos you will be pulling dependencies from. You'll
waste several GBs per distro, but you'll be at top speed.

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net