[mythtv-users] Best Settings for TV-out to Big Screen

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Dec 1 20:36:50 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 01 December 2004 11:27, David Southwell wrote:
> I'm just finishing my install/setup of mythtv, and I'm testing out some
> different resolutions and such.  So far I haven't been to happy with the
> way the picture looks on the TV.
>
> Hardware:  AMD 2400XP 512MB
> Video:   GeForce 2 GTS 64MB DDR w/TV out.
>
> I've got my desktop screen set to 800x600.  I'm currently capturing at
> 480x480 (Default I think)
>
> I've tested out both compression codecs, with divx(mpg4) looking worse
> by far, even with all values set as high as possible.
>
> I've also found that sometimes a straight svideo cable looks worse then
> if I use the svideo-rca converter that came with the card.  My TV is a
> 50 inch HDTV ready rear-projection unit.  My divx movies that I play
> through mythvideo look pretty respectible, just not live TV.
>
> Where should I look first to try an improve the quality of my picture?
> Should I look into a VGA->SVideo dongle?  Do I need to change some other
> settings?  What are your settings?

I presume your HDTV has at least component video inputs. I'd suggest
forgetting about hooking to it via svideo or composite. Read here:

http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/mythhd.php

However, your picture quality issues may be more capture-card related than
output-related if divx looks fine. You didn't mention what capture card
you're using, but it sounds like a bttv-based card. I've found that they
generally don't capture as good a picture as a PVR-x50 card.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...