[mythtv-users] best remote to buy for mythtv

Lane Schwartz dowobeha at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 17:53:23 UTC 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 12:24:11 -0500, Evan Burrows <eburrows at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK thanks for the responses so far.  I am trying to put all the pieces
> together in my head ...
> Niveus Media PC Remote Control w/USB Receiver - Retail
>
> Model# Niveus PC Remote
> Item # N82E16880100651>
>
> Ok so right now the received i have for my pvr350 is an rf receiver or
> an ir receiver?I appologize in advance that these are trivial
> questions..  I am gathering that it is an it receiver.  So if i bought
> this remote and rf receiver then that would eliminate the problem that
> I have with my tv changing channels (i think).
>
> Since it says that it can control your ir equipment does that mean the
> the remote also sends ir signals? or does it send rf to the rf
> receiver which translates it in ir and sends it to the corresponding
> piece of equipment?

> On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 11:51:41 -0500, Christopher Flynn <flynnguy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am using a homebrew serial IR with a Radio Shack Programmable
> > remote. This way I can set mythtv to accept whatever signal I want.
> > Plus I can program all the other functions and have just one remote
> > for all my tv stuff.

OK, here's how I understand it.

The receiver that comes with this remote is an RF receiver.

When communicating with the computer (via the RF receiver) the remote
uses RF. The remote is also a universal remote. Because of this it can
be configured to talk with your TV, VCR, or other IR device (including
your PVR-350's IR receiver). When communicating with IR appliances
such as the TV or VCR, the remote sends IR signals.

> How would i go about setting this up?

I'm not sure on that part... :}

Lane

--
"No, we've had no evidence that Saddam Hussein was involved in 9/11."
-- George W. Bush, 17 Sept 2003