[mythtv-users] best remote to buy for mythtv

Evan Burrows eburrows at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 17:24:11 UTC 2004

OK thanks for the responses so far.  I am trying to put all the pieces
together in my head before i buy something and realize it isn't what i
actually wanted or that I needed something else in addition to what I
purchased.

OK so i grabbed this off newegg
Niveus Media PC Remote Control w/USB Receiver - Retail

Model# Niveus PC Remote
Item # N82E16880100651

Features
Mouse Remote
Universal Remote
Learning Remote
Radio Frequency (works through walls up to 40ft. away)
IR control of Living Room entertainment components
Niveus PC Remote Configuration Software
Control your PC from the comfort of your sofa
Complete control of your Media Center PC
Control of your favorite 3rd party PC applications
Quick Buttons (Play, Pause, Rewind, Fast Forward, and more)
Surf the Internet on your TV
Turn your non-PC components ON/OFF

Ok so right now the received i have for my pvr350 is an rf receiver or
an ir receiver?I appologize in advance that these are trivial
questions..  I am gathering that it is an it receiver.  So if i bought
this remote and rf receiver then that would eliminate the problem that
I have with my tv changing channels (i think).

Since it says that it can control your ir equipment does that mean the
the remote also sends ir signals? or does it send rf to the rf
receiver which translates it in ir and sends it to the corresponding
piece of equipment?

How would i go about setting this up?  Would it require me to do stuff
with lirc or does it handle it all on its own.  And if i have to set
up lirc and map channel up and channel down to change the channels on
my cable box (if this is transmitted through ir) what would stop the
tv from picking up the signal.  Like i said i am new to this and the
only time i have even looked at an lirc file is when i used the one on
Jarods site to set up my pvr350 remote.

thanks again