[mythtv-users] Hardware selection and usage questions.

Randy Carpenter mythtv at rune.net
Wed Dec 1 07:22:50 UTC 2004

> >I am also looking for the best motherboard to use as a frontend. I would
> >like to a board with S-Video out as well as digital audio out (optical or
> >coax). I would like to hvae a small form factor, so MicroATX is probably
> >best. The consensus seems to favor the nForce2 boards as having the best
> >quality of video and audio support, but I cannot find a board with both
> >S-Video and digital audio out onboard. I have seen mention of the ASUS
> >Pundit system, but I really dislike the digital out on the front.
> >

> Don't quote me on this.. but I seem to recall something about a
> chaintech mobo having these on.. maybe the 7NIF2..
>
> It was a bit ago and I could be wrong.. but maybe worth looking up

Yeah... I've been looking too. The Chaintech board requires an add-on card
for the S/PDIF, which I cannot find.

There is also an ASUS board, but it requires an add-on card for the
s-video, and for the S/PDIF.

I found a couple of barebones systems:

EPoX EP-EX5300NR
AOpen EX18

Both have the features I want. They are both a little pricey though. I was
hoping to find a MB for well under $100, and a case for pretty cheap.

Any more comments would be greatly appreciated. I am sure that many would
like to know what hardware is working well for others.

thanks,
-Randy