[mythtv-users] If You Were to Mass Produce MythTV Boxes...

Rudy Zijlstra mythtv at edsons.demon.nl
Sat Aug 21 19:20:10 EDT 2004

John Smith wrote:

>I've read most of the entries in the MythTV hardware
>database and think I have a decent idea of what setups
>seem to work the best. But anyhow, if you were to
>going to mass produce mythtv boxes (frontend+backend
>combined), what components would you use to achieve a
>good price/performance balance (performance being more
>important)?

I'm missing some info:
- what will you be using it for? SD or HD?
- what type of capturing card?

>I'm still figuring out what all I'd use in building a
>MythTV box, but it'd probably be something as follows:
>
>OS: Redhat (Core 1?)

I'd use debian or slackware (but i've never liked RedHat).

>CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2500+

don't know, there are some VIA chipsets commonly used with Athlons that
cause trouble on DMA...

>Motherboard: Probably one of the ASUS A7N8X's

Asus is big, they also do not support linux.

>RAM: 512MB

clearly enough

>PSU: Don't know

? Do you want it as silent as possible?

>Case: Probably a Coolermaster, or maybe something

See previous question

>cheaper
>Case fans: Probably just need two.
>HDD: 200-250GB

How often do you record, how much time between recording and viewing?
Quite a few on this list have storage of 1/2 terabyte or more.

>Remote: Don't know

Choose one that does not conflict with already present remotes.

>DVD ROM drive - I have an external USB burner which I
>figure I can use to maybe burn from the MythTV box or
>from a Windows box.
>NIC - Transfer stuff to watch/burn to other boxes?
>
>I've seen people mention Epox (I think), but I don't
>know much about them. As well as Soyo.
>
>John

Cheers,

Rudy