[mythtv-users] If You Were to Mass Produce MythTV Boxes...

John Smith john_smith_45678 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 21 18:19:46 EDT 2004

I've read most of the entries in the MythTV hardware
database and think I have a decent idea of what setups
seem to work the best. But anyhow, if you were to
going to mass produce mythtv boxes (frontend+backend
combined), what components would you use to achieve a
good price/performance balance (performance being more
important)?

I'm still figuring out what all I'd use in building a
MythTV box, but it'd probably be something as follows:

OS: Redhat (Core 1?)
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2500+
Motherboard: Probably one of the ASUS A7N8X's
RAM: 512MB
PSU: Don't know
Case: Probably a Coolermaster, or maybe something
cheaper
Case fans: Probably just need two.
HDD: 200-250GB
Remote: Don't know
DVD ROM drive - I have an external USB burner which I
figure I can use to maybe burn from the MythTV box or
from a Windows box.
NIC - Transfer stuff to watch/burn to other boxes?

I've seen people mention Epox (I think), but I don't
know much about them. As well as Soyo.

John