[mythtv-users] no playback

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 2 13:49:11 EDT 2004

On Saturday 31 July 2004 08:31, Nick Bradaschia wrote:
> Hello.
> I've searched the archives for the past week or so and google'd quite
> a bit...still no answer.  Postin here as a last resort.
>
> The Setup:
> P4 2.8
> 1GB RAM
> 40B HD
> ATI TV-Wonder VE (I think...it only has a mono output)
> Fedora Core 2
> MythTV Suite from APT-Package
>
> The Issue (#1):
> Installed all the packages, ran and setup mythtv.
> It connects to the net to pull the guide info.  It records.
> It does not, however, playback any video  or live tv w/in mythtv.  I
> can play recorded videos by going to the terminal and manually
> telling mplayer to play (i.e. mplayer video.nuv).  When I attempt to
> play a video w/in the myth front end, all I get is a blank screen and
> I must ESC out.
> Has anyone encountered this issue?  If so, were you able to resolve
> it and how? :)
>
> The Issue (#2):
> As in #1, I can play back recorded video clips through terminal.
> When I do play back the videos, the quality is attrocious.  It is
> very noisy black and white.  The cable from my wall jack is being
> directly plugged into the computer.  I've tried this at different
> houses even to ensure the problem was consistant.
> Any info on this one?

If you're using a TV Wonder VE, then you're using software encoding,
right?  Mplayer hasn't been able to play software-encoded Myth .nuv
files for several versions now, IIRC, which is probably why it looks
garbled.  So you really can't judge the quality of the recordings until
you can play them back inside Myth itself.

As for your first problem, are there any messages on the terminal that
you ran mythfrontend from?  If you're auto-starting mythfrontend, try
logging in normallly instead, run mythfrontend from an xterm and see
what kinds of messages get written to the terminal.  That will give us
a place to start, at least.

-JAC