[mythtv-users] Matrox, TV-Out and XVideo

cythraul at videotron.ca cythraul at videotron.ca
Tue Sep 9 21:22:13 EDT 2003

Hi,

I've been reading a lot of information lately as I'm in the process of
deciding what hardware I will be using starting with this Compaq EVO SFF I
just obtained for reeeeal cheap.

Since this hardware is P4 based, CPU won't be a problem. Consequently, I've
opted for a software encoding/decoding solution as this will enable me to
use whatever codec I want (read: MPEG4. :)

For capture purposed, at 83$CAN, I believe the OEM Leadtek WinFast TV2000
XP is a good choice based on the facts that this card has the latest
chipset from Conexant and it seems to be supported by MythTV as well as
some other Win-based PVR solutions. Though, I wonder if btaudio will
support it. Given the cheap price tag of this card, I bet it won't. I'm
getting the OEM version of this model since I won't need the remote control
or any bundled software. So why pay the premium? Control will be driven by
that neat Logitech Keyboard/Mouse combo I also obtain for a bargain.

Next step is the video card. And there lies my question. I need a
low-profile AGP card. Since I've being using Matrox's products for years, I
figured that the retail version of the G550 would be a good choice.

Though, I've realised from reading from allot of sources that XVideo is not
supported on the TVOut head. While other solutions exist, like mplayer, I
ask: What are the consequences of not being able to use XVideo. Given that
a P4 will be driving this beast, is software resizing a problem?

Also, I've come across this page, stating another solution for this Matrox
TVout problem:

----
http://sinex.hut.mediapoli.com/cvsview/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/video/knsplugin/mplayer/src/DOCS/video.html?rev=1.1

Under linux, you have two choices to get TV-out working:
    * Using X 4.0.x + the HAL driver from matrox, so you'll get dual-head
support, and you'll be able to redirect second output to the TV.
Unfortunately it has Macrovision encryption enabled, so it will only work
on directly-connected TV, no through VCR. Other problem is that Xv doesn't
work on the second head. (I don't know how Windows solve it, maybe it swaps
the CRTCs between the heads, or just uses YUV framebuffer of second DAC
with some trick)
    * Using matroxfb with dual-head support enabled (2.4.x kernels). You'll
be able to get a framebuffer console (using CRTC2, so it's slow), and
TV-out (using CRTC1, with BES support). You have to forget X while using
this kind of TV-out! :(
----

Thank you,
Martin Thomas