[mythtv-users] Re: Low Bitrate Compromise?

Ben Levitt levittben at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 9 18:29:31 EDT 2003

I had trouble with commercial flagging not catching
any commercials, and finally realized that it was due
to having increased the pvr250's brightness a fair bit
to compensate for a low-end projector.  So it was
never finding black frames.  Just dark grey frames.  I
turned the brightness on the 250 back down, and turned
up v4l's brightness on the machine connected to the
projector with 'v4lctl bright 200'.  Now it flags
great.  :)

ben

------------------------------
Greetings, fellow MythTV users.

I wondered if my bitrate, set rather low on my
PVR-250, might be messing with commercial flagging?

/usr/local/ivtv/test_ioctl -c
bitrate=3200000,bitrate_peak=4000000 -p 0 -f
width=640,height=480

Otherwise, this seems to return quite satisfactory
video and sound, at a bit under 700MB per half hour;
but commercial flagging is completely unreliable.

If not bitrate (or even if so) what might be other
steps in my configuration to improve commercial
detection?

Thanks,
DAM