[mythtv-users] Can't locate module lirc_dev / lirc_i2c

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Oct 15 01:27:14 EDT 2003

On Monday, Oct 13, 2003, at 11:59 US/Pacific, Wallabystew wrote:

> The one I'm stuck on now is as follows.  I follow the
> guide up to the point of installing LIRC and follow the step for
> uncommenting the line in /etc/apt/sources.list for .... at-bleeding. I
> run
> the apt-get update then the two lines for installing the lirc. I copy
> the
> lircd.conf file for the grey remote and add the lines to modules.conf.
> At
> this point i run the /sbin/depmod -a and it is ok ecept for the
> unresolved
> symbol.... ivtv-fb.o which refers to pvr350 i believe.

Yes, you can safely ignore that if you aren't using TV-out on a PVR-350.

> OK there. I then run
> /sbin/modprobe lirc_dev and get
> modprobe: Can't locate module lirc_dev
> returned, then
> modprobe: Can't locate module lirc_i2c
> returned after the next line.

What does your modules.conf file look like? Perhaps something is amiss
in there...

Also, what output do you get from rpm -q lirc and rpm -q
lirc-kmdl-`uname -r`?

> I have seen references to running rpm -e --nodeps lirc before running
> the
> apt-get install for lirc and have tried this first without success.

Generally, this shouldn't be necessary anymore.

> Am i missing a step in all of this, or have I messed the order of
> doing this
> up?

Not sure. Get the info requested above, and we might be able to better
ferret out the problem...

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE