[mythtv-users] Can't locate module lirc_dev / lirc_i2c

Wallabystew wallabystew at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 13 13:59:57 EDT 2003

Hi, I'm a long time Win OS user trying my hand at Linux and have taken on
the Myth Tv project. Maybe a bit more that I can chew as a Linux novice. I'm
using the following hardware

Asus Pundit
P4 2.4g
512 ddr
WD 120gb / 8mg cache
PVR 250 - grey remote

I am using Jarod's Step by Step whitepaper to do the install (thanks Jarod!
Great piece of material)
I've been able to resolve numerous problems (caused by my lack of Linux
experience) so far by combing these forums and Google searches. As I go I
make notes on the printout of JW's guide of Pundit specific lines to add or
tweaks for the PVR.  The one I'm stuck on now is as follows.  I follow the
guide up to the point of installing LIRC and follow the step for
uncommenting the line in /etc/apt/sources.list for .... at-bleeding. I run
the apt-get update then the two lines for installing the lirc. I copy the
lircd.conf file for the grey remote and add the lines to modules.conf. At
this point i run the /sbin/depmod -a and it is ok ecept for the unresolved
symbol.... ivtv-fb.o which refers to pvr350 i believe. OK there. I then run
/sbin/modprobe lirc_dev and get
modprobe: Can't locate module lirc_dev
returned, then
modprobe: Can't locate module lirc_i2c
returned after the next line.

I have seen references to running rpm -e --nodeps lirc before running the
apt-get install for lirc and have tried this first without success.
Am i missing a step in all of this, or have I messed the order of doing this
up?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank

Enjoying the roller caoster ride which is the Mythtv Install!