[mythtv-users] Finally I'm Watching TV

Randy simpsonr at negia.net
Mon Oct 13 11:09:10 EDT 2003

Got Myth working aroung 2 am Sunday morning.  Thanks to all here who offered
suggestions to fix various problems, Jarod, Shay and Axel all made
suggestions thet got me past some sticking point. All in all I think I spent
around 40 hours getting it to work, that included 4 reinstalls of RH9 from
scratch.  I should say that going in I was a Linux newbie (still am but
getting better)so some of the troubles were operator malfunctions.

Havn't tested everything yet but live TV, instant recording, scheduled
recording, pause, instant replay, MythMusic, MythWeather are all working,
recorded the Skins/Bucs game yesterday but erased it since my team looked so
bad.  Skipped ALSA for now and lirc is not working at all but I will use a
wireless kb and mouse instead.

Hardware consists of a recycled Optiplex GX110 with a celeron 800,
integrated video and sound, PVR-250 capture card.  Performance is acceptable
for now, it takes around 20 seconds or so when Myth starts up for the
picture to stablaize but after that it is rock steady.  Changing channels
takes a few seconds, not sure if that is related to the cpu speed, don't
think so.  Planning to install a larger HD and maybe upgrade to a celeron
1.2.  Right now I have $105 in the computer and $149 in the PVR-250, the HD
and processor upgrades will add another $100-$120. Already have a Sony video
projector so I'm thinking this might make a reasonable large screen
projection system for our show room.

I have a couple of Optiplex GX100 SFF that would make a good looking unit
with a black case.  I've done some case mods and it is easy to change case
colors with vinyl dye since these cases are all plastic.  I think that will
be my next project.

Randy M. Simpson
Athens Computer Training, Inc.
186 Ben Burton Circle