[mythtv-users] where to get libvorbis-devel source for mythmusic installation

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Oct 7 11:56:41 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, Oct 7, 2003, at 07:12 US/Pacific, Ray Olszewski wrote:

> At 09:04 AM 10/7/2003 -0400, jose rubio wrote:
>> On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 08:22, Joel Melohn wrote:
>> > The install instruction for mythmusic on www.mythtv.org indicates
>> that
>> > libvorbis-devel is a prerequisite for installing mythmusic. Could
>> anyone
>> > tell me where to get the source for libvorbis-devel?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Joel
>>
>> try this link:
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=libvorbis-devel
>
> For a search for *source*, the above suggestion is not really very
> good. At the least, the Google search should be on "libvorbis-devel
> source", not just "libvorbis-devel". More useful advice would be to
> suggest that the poster check wherever he got the binary from, since
> both the GPL and the LGPL obligate distributors of binaries to provide
> access to the source as well.
>
> The details of that advice are distro-specific, and the original
> poster did not mention what distro he was using. Just as an example,
> if he were using Debian with installs via apt, and his
> /etc/apt/sources.list were current, all he would need to do is run
> these two commands:
>
>         apt-get update
>         apt-get source libvorbis-devel
>
> I'm sure the answers for other distros as equally simple, but I don't
> know them.

Well, he really doesn't actually need the source, he just needs
libvorbis-devel installed, so:

apt-get update
apt-get install libvorbis-devel

And that'll work on Debain and Red Hat alike (assuming you've installed
apt). It is also included on the Red Hat CDs, but I can't speak for any
other distro.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE