[mythtv-users] where to get libvorbis-devel source for mythmusic installation

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Tue Oct 7 13:42:50 EDT 2003

At 10:56 AM 10/7/2003 -0700, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
>On Tuesday, Oct 7, 2003, at 07:12 US/Pacific, Ray Olszewski wrote:

>>>try this link:
>>>
>>>http://www.google.com/search?q=libvorbis-devel
>>
>>For a search for *source*, the above suggestion is not really very good.
>>At the least, the Google search should be on "libvorbis-devel source",
>>not just "libvorbis-devel". More useful advice would be to suggest that
>>the poster check wherever he got the binary from, since both the GPL and
>>the LGPL obligate distributors of binaries to provide access to the
>>source as well.
>>
>>The details of that advice are distro-specific, and the original poster
>>did not mention what distro he was using. Just as an example, if he were
>>using Debian with installs via apt, and his /etc/apt/sources.list were
>>current, all he would need to do is run these two commands:
>>
>>         apt-get update
>>         apt-get source libvorbis-devel
>>
>>I'm sure the answers for other distros as equally simple, but I don't
>>know them.
>
>Well, he really doesn't actually need the source, he just needs
>libvorbis-devel installed, so:
>
>apt-get update
>apt-get install libvorbis-devel
>
>And that'll work on Debain and Red Hat alike (assuming you've installed
>apt). It is also included on the Red Hat CDs, but I can't speak for any
>other distro.

You are right, of course, Jarod. From the wording of his original question,
I inferred that he really did want the source, not the binary ... perhaps
because he was building a system where he compiled everything locally to
take advantage of some architecture-dependent optimizations that would not
be available in stock binaries.

I suppose all this is just a reminder that "source" is a term that does
have a specific, technical meaning in the context of software.