[mythtv-users] mythtv: could not open config file

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 13 12:01:54 EST 2003

On Thursday 13 November 2003 02:20, ray cielencki wrote:
> At 17:38 11/12/2003, you wrote:
> >I have installed 0.12 from Jarod's guide and ATRPMS, and it's all
> > working, apart from transcoding (which I can live without for now).
> >Many thanks!
> >
> >I'm curious about an error that is returned to the console when I
> > launch mythfrontend:
> >
> >[mythtv at toybox mythtv]$ mythfrontend
> >2003-11-10 21:04:52 Enabled verbose msgs : important general
> >mythtv: could not open config file
> >mythtv: No such file or directory
> >Failed to init /home/mythtv/.mythtv/lircrc for mythtv
> >generating cache image for:
> > /usr/share/mythtv/themes/default/blank.png Couldn't save cache
> > image:
> >/home/mythtv/.mythtv/themecache/blue.640.480/blank.png
> >
> >It seems to be non-fatal, but I do see a flash of a progress bar
> > across the screen when myhfrontend comes up, which I presume to be
> > related to the regeneration of the cache image it says it can't
> > save.
> >
> >Looked like a permissions problem, so I have chmod 777'd all the
> >directories I can think of.  I tried removing and re-installing the
> >database, according to the how-to, but no change.
> >

> >Thanks for helping a newbie - MMcK
>

> does ls -al /home/mythtv/.mythtv/ and furthermore ls -al
> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/themecache/ show that themecache and
> blue.640.480 are owned/writeable by your myth user (the same one
> starting mythfrontend)? while a chmod 777 will probably work, its
> perhaps not the best fix because of security concerns with some
> directories.

I get the same message about not being able to save blank.png...
permissions all seem to be correct, and all of the other re-scaled
images were saved OK.  It's such a benign error that I haven't really
devoted any time looking into it, but my guess is it's an error either
in the Myth code or in the theme's structure, and the problem is not
file permissions, but something else.

-JAC