[mythtv-users] mythtv: could not open config file

ray cielencki mythtv at rayslinky.com
Thu Nov 13 02:20:30 EST 2003

At 17:38 11/12/2003, you wrote:
>I have installed 0.12 from Jarod's guide and ATRPMS, and it's all working,
>apart from transcoding (which I can live without for now).
>Many thanks!
>
>I'm curious about an error that is returned to the console when I launch
>mythfrontend:
>
>[mythtv at toybox mythtv]$ mythfrontend
>2003-11-10 21:04:52 Enabled verbose msgs : important general
>mythtv: could not open config file
>mythtv: No such file or directory
>Failed to init /home/mythtv/.mythtv/lircrc for mythtv
>generating cache image for: /usr/share/mythtv/themes/default/blank.png
>Couldn't save cache image:
>/home/mythtv/.mythtv/themecache/blue.640.480/blank.png
>
>It seems to be non-fatal, but I do see a flash of a progress bar across
>the screen when myhfrontend comes up, which I presume to be related to the
>regeneration of the cache image it says it can't save.
>
>Looked like a permissions problem, so I have chmod 777'd all the
>directories I can think of.  I tried removing and re-installing the
>database, according to the how-to, but no change.
>
>lirc works fine, and I have no problems recording, watching live tv,
>importing music CDs, or watching/ripping dvds at the 'perfect'
>setting.  My DVD transcodes quit without an error message that I can see
>(mtd.log shows that transcodes completed successfully), and I wonder
>whether it's a related problem.
>
>I have searched the forum archives for this problem and found the error
>output in three other threads, but in each case these errors were not the
>subject of the thread and were not addressed.
>
>Can anyone tell me whether they have this same problem, and whether it is
>fixable?
>
>Thanks for helping a newbie - MMcK

Axels latest myth rpms are compiled with native lirc support. i assume you
are using irxevent to pass keystrokes to the "CurrentWindow". this message
just complains that you dont have a lircrc file for native support. your
config now is fine and you can safely ignore the message.

does ls -al /home/mythtv/.mythtv/ and furthermore ls -al
/home/mythtv/.mythtv/themecache/ show that themecache and blue.640.480 are
owned/writeable by your myth user (the same one starting mythfrontend)?
while a chmod 777 will probably work, its perhaps not the best fix because
of security concerns with some directories.

finally, not sure about the transcode problem...

cheers,
/rayc