[mythtv-users] Stuck at base 1

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Thu Mar 13 19:43:35 UTC 2003

I believe you have found the problem, but I don't know what the solution is.

A bttv card's channel tuner is typically controlled via the i2c bus. So if
that module is not installing properly, as the error message you saw, and
several others near it, seems to indicate, then the card most likely cannot
be tuned. I also note that the bttv module is ID'ing the card as type=0,
not as the type=2 that the CARDLIST file associates with older (bt848)
Hauppauge cards. You may need to specify by hand the card type and the
tuner type by hand (as module arguments) to force recognition of this card
(see the kernel-source docs in (something like)
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/video4linux/bttv for the details).

I am insufficiently familiar with Windows even to know what it means to
"change my PCI latency on my windows box".

I doubt the IRQ sharing is a problem. If it is, you can try running
"irqtune" to correct any conflict.

Perhaps someone else more hardware savvy than I can offer a more focused
suggestion?

At 08:47 AM 3/13/2003 +0000, Malcolm Wotton wrote:
>This email mostly for Ray Olszewski, but anyone else can chip in!
>
>Thanks for the pointers here's the answers to the questions . . .
>

>1-4 listed at the end of the email. I can't tell if they are all ok, but
>something that looks wrong for certain is a line in dmesg that says
>
>i2c-algo-bit.o: bt848 #0 i2c_write: error - bailout.
>
>I don't know what I need to do to fix this if it's the problem (reinstall
>i2c? - where's the soure?)
>
>5       I might have confused the issue by saying cable, I actually meant
>terrestrial aerial, however it uses PAL, europe-west
>
>6       The hauppage card works with the supplied WinTV2000 software on
>windows
>xp. I've not tried it with anything else.
>

>Finally, I seem to remember that I had to change my PCI latency on my
>windows box to get the card working before. There's a reference to this on
>the Hauppage website. I'd try this on my linux machine but it doesn't seem
>to have an option to set the latency (Gigabyte GA-7VAX). If this is the
>problem then any ideas to get round this would be very useful!
>
>Thanks again for the help.
>
>Malcolm
>
>-----------TECHNICAL OUTPUT FOLLOWS------------

[deleted]