[mythtv-users] Record from Tuner or from video in on BTTV card

Dane Kantner webmaster at cmtweb.com
Wed Jul 30 21:29:52 EDT 2003

> I have looked thru the setup utility and also thru the recording
> options and can't see how to get Myth to record from either the

I haven't played with using s-video/composite input functionality much
yet... but, my understanding is that mythTV will show the "channels" based
off of what you have xmltv grabbing.... it does it on the "tuner" because
you assigned the cable provider to a tuner...  of course you know that you
can switch the various inputs by hitting "C" ...

 but also, if my understanding is correct, what you could do is set up
two/three cable providers... on the "tuner" pick one of the channels that
you're not likely to use and/or ones that you will use but will be coming
through the S-Video or composite instead... comment out these channels for
the tuner's setup xml file... this way, these channels will *not* show up
through the tuner... on the second and/or third cable providers, comment
every channel out *BUT* the one you commented out on the previous
one...XMLTV will grab the listings...mythTV will say "hey, this program is
on the composite" and when you choose to record it, it'll know.

for example, the tuner would download cable channels 1-45 and 46-103, but
channel 46 (which does have listings) would be downloaded in a sep loading
via the second or third xmltv configuration setup.  you weren't really clear
what you're actually using the s-video and composite for, so i'm not sure if
its an actual channel that is always feeding from a tuner (in which case
this setup would make sense), or if its something you're feeding in from a
computer or some other input (in which case downloading listings to schedule
to record wouldn't make much sense--unless you have some funky local access
or something that you don't care about, in which case you might be happy
with using as the dummy second config)

read the latest CVS howto in the setup of the backend relating to assigning
the inputs to providers... i think they just modified it to tell you *not*
to assign the cable listings to all of the inputs (for the reason that it
would record from any given input, even though it wasn't on all of them)...

i'm not 100% this would work, but if my understanding of how the
configuration of multple cable setups works, it would.  if not its an
interesting science experiment?

-d