[mythtv-users] Recordings' Video Scrambled When Played Externally

Evan P. Mills evan.ciber at epmills.com
Wed Jul 30 14:16:58 EDT 2003

Hi, all!

I can play recorded shows within MythTV without problems.  However, when
I try to view the recordings using mplayer or encode them using
mencoder, some sections of the video appear scrambled.  The scrambled
frames appear to be divided into blocks about 15-20 across and down,
primarily shades of green with some of the underlying frame visible.
Whether I play or encode, the same frames are scrambled the same way.

I tried to capture a screen shot but when I try to open the image, I see
only blue instead of the frame's image.  So perhaps this is a video
overlay thing?

I'm using a Matrox G450-eTV card using the mga.o video driver with
MythTV 0.10.  I've even created a custom mplayer executable using Matt
Zimmerman's patch but with the same results.

Anyone else seen this problem before?  I wonder what MythTV's doing
differently to play the video without any problems?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    -- Evan