[mythtv-users] nforce audio -- no sound from TV

Lennox Reid mythtv at idodat.com
Wed Jul 23 07:18:36 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 04:49, Martin Cosgrave wrote:

> I don't think I can help with your no-sound problem in mythtv, although if
> other apps work ok it is possible that it is the sound level on the input
> which is the problem. Also check that nothing is holding the dsp open (like a
> sound server, use 'lsof /dev/dsp' - may need to install lsof first, your
> distro should have it)

/dev/dsp is not being held open.  I've checked with fuser, and no
program is reported to be using it.  Does lsof do basically the same
thing?  I'll check on that.  Have never used lsof before.

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 at 00:54:04 Chip Marshall wrote:

> Sounds like your mixer settings might be messed up. Try adjusting them
> by hand to see if you can get sound. I suppose you could also try
> hooking up the line-out from the tuner card to something else, to make
> sure that's pumping out sometihng.

The mixer settings all look okay -- both for btaudio AND the nforce
audio.  I've used aumix AND kmix (aumix doesn't see the btaudio for some
reason).  Any other programs to try?  Are there any other settings aside
from volue controls I should look at?

The line-out on the WinTV card works properly.  I've checked it by
directly connecting it to my stereo system and output is fine.  NONE of
the inputs I've checked on  the card work properly.  Mic, Line-In, or
CD-IN.  I've used both the nvaudio and the i810 audio drivers and the
same thing happens for either.

> For your nforce audio - by default it goes into 48kHz mode when the SPDIF
> option is enabled - you can pass "spdif_status=0" to the driver when you load
> it and it will get set to 44kHz instead.

This fixed the squeeky mp3 problem.  Thanks!

FYI: some outputs:

nvidia               1671328  10  (autoclean)
nvaudio                39732   0
ac97_codec             12488   0  [nvaudio]
af_packet              14952   1  (autoclean)
sr_mod                 16920   0  (autoclean)
nvnet                  30752   1  (autoclean)
ohci1394               19048   0  (unused)
ieee1394               45900   0  [ohci1394]
supermount             15296   1  (autoclean)
ide-cd                 33824   0
tuner                  11744   1  (autoclean)
tvaudio                15068   0  (autoclean) (unused)
msp3400                17804   1  (autoclean)
bttv                   78496   0
videodev                7872   3  [bttv]
i2c-algo-bit            9064   1  [bttv]
i2c-core               21192   0  [tuner tvaudio msp3400 bttv
i2c-algo-bit]
soundcore               6276   0  [nvaudio bttv]
cdrom                  31648   0  [sr_mod ide-cd]
ide-scsi               11280   0
sd_mod                 13100   0
scsimon                 9312   0  (unused)
usb-storage            72952   0
scsi_mod              103284   5  [sr_mod ide-scsi sd_mod scsimon
usb-storage]
usb-ohci               20584   0  (unused)
usbcore                72992   1  [usb-storage usb-ohci]
rtc                     8060   0  (autoclean)
ext3                   59916   2
jbd                    38972   2  [ext3]

probeall scsi_hostadapter usb-storage ide-scsi
probeall usb-interface usb-ohci
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
alias sound-slot-0 nvaudio
alias /dev/nvidia*   nvidia