[mythtv-users] Frame Drop problems?? SOLVED... next project?

mojo mojospam at thegeekclub.net
Thu Jul 17 01:58:50 EDT 2003

David Madsen wrote:
 > Let me know how your next conversion goes.  I switched my ext3 file
system
 > over to writeback mode, we'll see if that helps at all.  I would like to
 > figure out what is causing this.  I also noticed something else
interesting
 > after I made the first post.  all of those duplicate frame messages
happen
 > spaced exactly 10 frames apart.  I don't know what (if any) significance
 > that may have, but interesting none the less..
 >
 > Dave

Well, long story short, i'm certain now that the main culprit behind my
inability to convert those .nuv's to .avi's was my original source
recording settings. Sure enough, reducing my ATI TV wonder card (not VE)
to 320x240 resolution reduced CPU usage from the 90 percentile to the
60's (would have been lower but to offset the resolution drop i upped
the framerate and activated vhq and v4mv).. the framerate does not seem
to have as major an impact as the resolution change... currently i am
using 3000-4000 ranges for my bitrate with mpeg4 at 320x240 resolution
and using a combination of mythmkmovie (to strip commercials accoring to
the cutlist) and a tweaked mythencode.pl script to get them down to the
exact file size i want and also to deinterlace them.  One thing i also
noticed is that the mythencode.pl script has several extraneous
settings. I have found that it is not wise to alter the FPS too greatly
(unless you like bad a/v sync) and the default fps setting in
mythencode.pl is 30 fps while my sources are 29.97 while its not much of
a difference it produces more errors from mencoder than it would if it
was unchanged.  I'm a complete idiot at perl but im trying to modify it
to the point where omitting the --fps argument at all simply removes it
altogether from the mencoder command line instead of just defaults it to
30fps.  Also i would like to have an option for CBR mp3 audio instead of
VBR.  I also may have a look at the mythmkmovie source to see if i can
add deinterlacing as an option, but my C++ abilities are well...
non-existent... printf("this is all i know how to do in C.");

if anyones interested in helping... what i'd ideally like to see is
mythmkmovie (with its slick database accessing abilities and cutlist
processing) with the added features of a built in bitrate calc and of
course my precious deinterlacing option. So I could go into mythmkmovie,
specify my desired file size then tweak the audio and video bitrates and
scale resolution based on the resulting bits per pixel per second ratio
returned by the program... with that coding framework layed i could move
on to a dvd ripping module... [sigh]... i wish i could do half this
stuff... well learning is half the fun right? (and all of the
frustration)... maybe ill take some C++ classes this fall.  You guys
gotta help me with my homework ;-)

Sean