[mythtv-users] Re:trying to use 2 inputs on same card (not simultaneously :-)

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Mon Jul 14 12:13:50 EDT 2003

At 11:00 AM 7/14/2003 -0600, Alexander P. Petkov wrote:
>=============
>I have 2 capture cards that do not have a line in, but have composite
>video in.
>
>ATI TV Wonder VE
>Modular Tech MM201
>
>There are plenty more examples on the bttv gallery page.
>=============
>
>They may not be labeled "line-in", but your card definitely has audio
>input(s). Otherwise, what's the point of having composite video in?

Well ... "definitely" displays more confidence than I had when I wrote. In
principle, it is perfectly *possible* for the tuner card to lack line-in,
in the expectation that a user will understand (or be instructed) to
connect the audio directly to the sound card. It was just my experience
that none of them does, as I said in my prior reply. Zaheer's reply was to
the point, as it identified two cards I've never myself used.

So after I saw his posting, I took a moment to look up the "ATI TV Wonder
VE", and it certainly *appears* in photos to lack any audio input. (Google
doesn't match anything for "Modular Tech MM201" and I don't know the URL fo
the "bttv gallery page", so I can't say about those parts of his message.)

This would be useful information to add to the Capture-Card FAQ, since it
will increasingly matter as more of us start using digital-cable or
-satellite boxes. So I'd welcome anyone else with a card that lacks audio
in, but otherwise works with Myth, to identify it.