[mythtv-users] Brightness and Contrast continued....

Will Dormann wd at pobox.com
Sat Jul 12 19:45:27 EDT 2003

I never got any replies to my earlier posts, but I figured I'd submit my
findings to the list in case anybody else is having the same thing.

When I set up MythTV originally, I had no extra add-ins.  When I got the
software set up, I noticed that the picture was a bit dark.   I found out
how to change the brightness and contrast by changing the values in the
"channel" mysql table.  I got everything working fine.  (Or so I thought)

Then I installed MythVideo about a month later.   While in MythTV the image
looked fine, in MythVideo, everything was really dark.  At first I tried
playing with mplayer options to get the video to the right brightness, but
then I found that those changes would actually affect MythTV and make it
overly bright!

Since installing MythVideo, I've come to the conclusion that the brightness
during the recording phase was OK, but it was the *playback* where it was
off.    After a little research, I found that the SIS driver I'm using
supports XV options in XF86Config.   So by setting my brightness and
contrast back to the default values in the database and adding this line to
my XF86Config, everything seems fine.  MythTV and MythVideo.

Option "XvDefaultBrightness" "65"

-WD